– Sevilla came back to earn a late 1-1 draw away at Atletico Madrid, with that point confirming their top four spot and qualification for the Champions League.
– It also means the race for third place in LaLiga Santander will go down to the final day, as Los Colchoneros remain just one point ahead of Los Nervionenses with just one game left to play.
– Atleti struck first as, with half an hour played, Jose Maria Gimenez did well to head home a Yannick Carrasco corner.
– The game was by no means over, however, with the encounter keenly contested at both ends.
– In the second half, Rodrigo de Paul drew a fine save out of Sevilla keeper Bono, before Youssef En-Nesyri headed off the bar as the game began to feel like even more like a final in the latter stages.
– En-Nesyri was to get another headed chance shortly afterwards and, with five minutes remaining, he didn’t miss this time, burying Oliver Torres’ cross.
– The point means that Sevilla have mathematically secured a top four finish as they have a three-point lead over Real Betis and hold the head-to-head tiebreaker.
– Atleti, meanwhile, had top four already secured and will seal third if they equal or better Sevilla’s result next Sunday. They play away at Real Sociedad, while Sevilla host Athletic Club.
– With plenty left to play for in terms of final standings and European places, the final LaLiga Santander matchday of the 2021/22 season is sure to be worth watching.