– Liverpool manager, Jurgen Klopp has played down concerns over the fitness of Mohamed Salah and Virgil van Dijk.
– Both players were taken off during the FA Cup final win over Chelsea on Saturday.
– Klopp, speaking after the match, said Salah and Van Dijk are “kind of OK”.
– Salah limped off in the 33rd minute with a groin strain, while Van Dijk failed to appear for extra-time due to a muscle problem.
– Both players walked onto the pitch at the end of the game to celebrate the victory.
– Although Klopp said that Salah and Van Dijk are unlikely to play against Southampton at St Mary’s on Tuesday, he was more optimistic about the full extent of their injuries.
– “I think [Salah, Van Dijk] are kind of OK,” Klopp told ESPN’s Alexis Nunes.
– “I don’t think they will be ready for Tuesday, to be honest… I don’t think they would have been ready for Tuesday anyway!
– “But I think they are alright, it was more of a precaution. Mo felt something, said I could carry on and I had to make a decision, I said no… if you’re feeling something on the pitch, it’s not going to get better [if you keep playing], staying on is not the best treatment!
– “With Virgil it was more clear: 90 minutes yes, 120 minutes no.
– “But what a situation, you bring on Joel Matip! Oh my god! That’s really cool. So, all fine.”