– Wizkid has been named the ‘African artiste of the year’ at the 23rd edition of the Vodafone Ghana Music Awards (VGMAs).
– Grammy-Award winning singer and performer, Ayo Balogun, popularly known as Wizkid, was named Best African Artiste of the Year at the 23rd Vodafone Ghana Music Awards last night.
– The award ceremony, previously known as Ghana Music Awards, was established in 1999. It is aimed at celebrating the outstanding contributions of Ghanaian musicians to the growth and expansion of its associated industry.
Also Read: Wizkid confirms collaboration with Pepsi
– The awards took off on Friday at the Grande Arena of the Accra International Conference Centre and featured performances from top Ghanaian music stars.
– Wizkid was among those honoured on the first night of this year’s edition of the awards alongside Stonebwoy who snagged the ‘Music for Good’ category.
– Wizkid beat out other Nigerian artists such as Tems, Ckay, Joeboy, and Fireboy Dml to win ‘Artiste of the Year.’
– In a Twitter post, organisers of the awards congratulated the ‘Ojuelegba’ crooner for the feat.
– “Huge congratulations to @wizkidayo for winning the Best African Artiste of the Year at the 23rd VGMAs #VGMA23,” the post reads.
FC, where are you??
— Ghana Music Awards (@GHMusicAwards) May 6, 2022